Handy Tips for Care of Skates
- Always wear guards when not on the ice, even on rubber matting.
- Always remove guards before storing skates.
- Dry blades and sole plate completely with a towel.
- Use soft guards when skates are in a bag to protect the blades.
Always unlace skates sufficiently before removing them or else you will destroy your skates by ripping the back seam.
Frequency of Skate Sharpening and other Facts
The following outlines general guidelines that you may follow:
- Skating 1 day/week – sharpen skates every 2-3 months
- Skating 2 days/week – sharpen skates every 6 weeks to 2 months
- Skates should be sharpened after 20-30 hrs of skating
Other factors to consider when determining the frequency of sharpening are:
- Condition of ice – skating at outdoor public rinks may dull/nick blades quicker
- Damaged edges – blade may be accidentally be nicked due to various reasons
- Skater preference – some skaters prefer very sharp or duller blades
Figure Skate sharpening companies
Use a good figure skate sharpening company.
The club recommends below:
- Jake’s Figure Skate Sharpening
14 Essex Avenue, Unit 28, Thornhill, ON L3T 3Z1
- Figure Skating Boutique
- Mara Boutique
- Esta Figure Skating Boutique